Shyonak (Oroxylum Indicum) has been mentioned in various Ayurvedic text such as Sushrut and Charak samhita. Charak has prescribed Shyonak as antiseptic, astringent and recommended for non-healing ulcers, female disorders and dysentery. It promotes Digestive Fire, It is astringent and bitter in taste and Pungent after Digestion. It manages all three Doshas Vata, Pitta and Kapha.
The chemical constituents of this herb consist of Baicalein, Tetuin, Oroxindin, aloe-emodin and chrysin. Shyonak leaves are emollient containing anthraquinone and aloe-emodin.
This herbal plant is found to possess anti-inflammatory, diuretic, astringent, expectorant, anti-arthritic, antipyretic, aphrodisiac antifungal and antibacterial activity and is also believed to contain antitumor constituents, and is frequently used because of these properties.
The root bark and stem bark have anti-allergic properties and are being used in treatment of allergic diseases, urticaria, jaundice, asthma, sore throat, laryngitis, hoarseness, diarrhea, dysentery, infantile, erythema and measles.
English name – Broken Bones Tree, Indian trumpet flower, midnight horror, oroxylum, kampong
Uses Of Oroxylum Indicum:
- Decoction of its leaves have good use internally to increase appetite.
- Leaves can be directly applied hot on the skin to treat an enlarged spleen.
- The decoction of its root is useful against diarrhea and dysentery.
- Root is also good to be used in Anorexia.
- Root is even found useful in Rheumatoid Arthritis.
- Root of this herb has beneficial effects in cough, cold and fever.
- The seeds of this plant contain a purgative agent that make it to be an effective remedy for constipation.
- Paste of seed when applied can treat boils and wounds
- The paste made of the bark powder is applied for as a remedy for diseases such as mouth cancer, scabies and other skin diseases in some part of the world.
- The Fruit part of the tree is useful to improve the taste buds. Fruit is very good for skin, cleansing the wounds and it also detoxifies the blood,
- Fruit is useful in gynecological disorders and even in case of childhood psychological disorders