The highly nutritious and unusual Pomelo citrus fruit is a close relative of grapefruit. Pomelo, or commonly called as Chakrota, contains vitamins and minerals in abundance.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF POMELO
- Boosts Immunity and Prevents Premature Aging: Pomelo is an immunity enhancer in a way that it contains high amount of ascorbic acid. Pomelo has been used as one of the richest sources of Vitamin C in South East Asia and so it fulfills the daily required amount of Vitamin C quantities. Vitamin C enhances the white blood cell activity to fight infections and prevents various microorganism borne diseases. It’s rich in antioxidants that prevent premature aging of skin cells by protecting them from the free radical damage. This keeps the body healthy and, off colds, flu and other severe bacterial and viral infections. Also pomelo contains a rare chemical called spermadine, that is otherwise found only in human sperms, which has shown to have anti-aging properties.
- Promotes Healthy Teeth, Prevents Anemia and Heals Wounds Faster: Pomelo, being rich in vitamin C, cures bleeding gums and helps in maintaining vitamin C levels in the body. Collagen formation is enhanced by pomelo consumption that repairs the unhealthy gums and prevents further damage. Absorption of iron is greatly regulated by the availability of vitamin C in the body. Pomelo juice is advised for those who are iron deficient or anemic, as a substitute for supplements. Pomelo also enhances the wound healing capacity of the body by promoting faster collagen development.
- Prevents Urinary Tract Infections: Consumption of pomelo in good quantities reduces the risk of getting urinary tract infection because the increased acid level in blood (due to the presence of vitamin C) keeps the urinary system devoid of bacterial infections and thus making it healthy.
- Regulates Digestion: Pomelo is rich in fiber content that its usage in regular diet helps in eliminating digestive problems like constipation and diarrhea. The edible part of pomelo contains about 25% of the daily-needed fiber which is good for smooth bowel movement. It also avoids hemorrhoids and colon cancer.
- Regulates Blood Pressure and Maintains Heart Health: Potassium, being a vasodialator, regulates the blood flow through blood vessels, thus keeping the blood pressure levels controlled. It also reduces the strain on heart, thereby reducing the possibility of stroke or heart attack. Pomelo is also rich in fiber and it prevents cholesterol levels from increasing and keeps cardiac system healthy.
- Strengthen Bones: Pomelo is high in potassium that is necessary for proper absorption of essential minerals and maintaining bone calcium density. Pomelo intake prevents osteoporosis.
- Helps Lose Weight: Carnitine pamitoyl-transferase is a rare enzyme found in pomelo which has a link to weight loss. Pomelo also contains high amount of fiber which helps in losing excess flab and controls obesity.
- Prevents Body Cramps: Sudden stiffening and unconscious shrinkage of muscles in limbs, mostly legs are caused due to lack of fluids and electrolytes in the body. Pomelo has high amount of potassium, sodium and magnesium that can fulfill the daily electrolyte requirement. It helps in soothing and easing the muscle stiffness and lessens cramping.