Botanical name: Holarrhena antidysenterica
Kutaj is a glabrous tree or large shrub found throughout the deciduous forest areas of India at low elevations and up to 1100 meters in the tropical Himalayan tract. Kutaja seeds are known as Indrajau or Indrayava. Kutaja has bitter, pungent taste and cold in potency. Kutaja is a very famous herb used in treating diarrhoea, irritable bowel syndrome etc. It is used in preparing very common Ayurvedic medicines like Kutajarishta, Kutaj Ghanavati etc.
The bark of medicinal herb Kutaj has astringent, anthelmintic, amoebicidal and diuretic activities and is useful in treating diarrhoea, dysentery and amebiasis.
Here are few traditional remedies that use Kutaj:.
- Dysentery: Kutajis useful in treating atisaar, dast, Sangrahani and other such digestive system ailments.
- Arthritis, inflammation, pain
- Sexual debility, Dhatu rog: Powder of its dried seeds is used.
- Diabetes: SoakKutajbark in water at night. Next morning drink this water.
- Prameha, Pradar, Skin problems, Kidney stone: Soak bark (2 tbsp) in glass of water at night. Next morning drink this water.