Jamun, Black plum, java plum, malabar plum, jambolan or jambul can help a lot in controlling blood sugar level because it contains anthocyanins, ellagic acid, hydrolysable tannins etc. Each part of the Jambul plant such as the leaves, berry and seeds can be used by those suffering from diabetes. In fact, research has shown that the fruits and seeds of this plant have hypoglycemic effects as they help reduce blood and urine sugar levels rapidly.
Jamun Controls Blood Sugar levels
The seeds, in particular, are very effective as it contains glycoside jamboline and alkaloid jambosine that regulate and control blood sugar levels. Whenever this seasonal fruit is available in the market, try to include it in your diet as it can be very effective for the pancreas. Else you can make a powder of dried seeds of Jambul fruit and eat this powder with water twice a day.
Indian Black berry or Jamun is native to India and its neighboring countries but you can find it at Asian markets and herbal shops. Ayurvedic and Unani systems of medicine use the fruit, seeds, bark, leaves etc to treat a variety of health problems. Ayurveda texts indicate that Jambolan is one of the greatest fruits.
The seeds contain the glucoside jambolin which prevents the conversion of starch into sugar and this benefits by controlling blood sugar levels. They also contain many flavonoids, phenols and are rich in protein and calcium. It is a very good source of carotene, iron, folic acid, calcium, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus.
The tree flowers with the onset of summer in March/April and bears fruit in May/June. The fruits’ skin is in various shades of purple, some almost black colored. It is an oblong shaped berry and the ripe berry has a deep purple flesh that colors the mouth and tongue for a few hours after it is eaten. The fruit tastes sweet and tasty with an astringent action.
Top health benefits of Jamun:
- Dried seeds powder taken one gram two times a day could help support blood sugar.
- Fruits reduce excessive salivation
- Seeds decoction with honey prevents thirst and fatigue due to physical strain.
- Seeds decoction has anti septic activity
- For boils and other skin disorders apply some jamun seeds mixed with a little oil on the affected area.
- For Acidity, eat jamuns with black salt and roasted cumin seed powder.
- To remove body weakness, treat anemia, increase memory and remove sexual weakness, take 1 tsp each of jamun juice, honey and amla juice everyday in the morning.