Mara – is a Sanskrit word meaning “death”, a – “not, without”. So it turns out that AMARANTH literally means denying death, or rather, granting immortality Amaranth has been cultivated as a grain for 8,000 years. Amaranth seeds is a well known grain that has many nutritious benefits and is also used in the ayurvedic medicine for treating many disorders.
From an Ayurvedic perspective, since Amaranth is lighter and dryer than wheat or corn, it is an ideal grain for Kapha dosha. Amaranth tastes somewhat like corn, but is somewhat less -sweet. It dry up excess mucus and Kapha dampness, which benefits the lungs and respiratory system. Amaranth contains 30% more protein than rice, and four times as much calcium as wheat. It is recommended for people with anemia because it is high in iron (blood building). It is also high in manganese and magnesium (a muscle relaxor).
Amaranth / Rajgira Stone Grouted Flour
Rajgira / Amaranth Leaves
Amaranth seeds are known for benefits like cholesterol lowering properties, increases the red blood cells, which helps in the prevention of anemia. Several studies have shown that amaranth seed or oil may be of benefit for those with hypertension and cardiovascular disease; regular consumption reduces blood pressure and cholesterol levels, while improving antioxidant status and some immune parameters.
- According to the ayurveda, this grain is very light to digest and is nutritious and healthy. Ayurvedic medicine recommneds this seed for all those people suffering from blood diseases and anemia. It is recommended by some doctors for people having low red blood cell count.
- Amaranth is also known for the protein content present in it when compared to any other grain. It not only has very high content of proteins but also has different types of amino acids like the lysine and methionine that are very rarely found in grains.
- This seed also does not contain gluten and is an excellent option for people who need gluten free diet like for those individuals suffering from autism and even irritable bowel syndrome.
- Amaranth seeds are said to have two times more calcium when compared to milk. Even a quarter cup of these seeds contain nearly 60% of the required iron for the body. This is the reason that according to the ayurvedic medicine, it is recommended for pregnant and lactating mothers.
- Recent research has also stated that these seeds have tocotrienols, which is a form of vitamin E that has cholesterol lowering property in the humans.
Note: We advise that natural products be consumed in their pristine form, without any preservatives or processing chemicals added, unless a preparation is advised by an Ayurvedic doctor.
It gives maximum health benefits and keeps costs low (compared to the huge medical costs due to modern diseases.)
For more about Amaranth plant: